Pages

Monday, April 23, 2018

Pots, Behavior, and Regulation

So many pots cooking at once. 

But I like it that way. Whatever I'm feeling, I can ponder, research, ask questions and make plans.

The current pots:
  • ways to make the learning more interactive, more participatory
  • trauma, resiliency and education
  • lesson plan forms/planners/templates
  • looking ahead to my summer and what soul-building activities I hope to include
Even as I look toward my summer with sadness (I sure am gonna miss the kids I call my students) and joy (time to pursue interests outside of education), I wonder what feelings my students are experiencing. 

If I dedicate myself to being a kid-watcher, what will their behavior tell me?
  • nervous (for next year--teacher, class; the summer schedule/routine; meals)
  • joy (some kids get to know that kid joy, they do not worry about home, parents, safety)
  • sad (our year has been so much fun, why does it have to end; school is safe, will summer be safe?)
  • see me. just see me. call me by my name. ask me about my new puppy.
Tonight I've been refreshed. You know what that means? Tomorrow I will have lots of opportunities  to use my skills that I once used and forgot about, but were reminded of tonight.
  • behavior is communication. stop. look. name it (or at least try). offer validation of the feeling, allow time to cool down, then explore alternative ways to manage that intense feeling
  • the behavior is happening in front of me, not to me
  • is the behavior a call for help
Today I was able to see the behavior in front of me. (Yay!!!) And then I froze. (Whoops.) Did not know what to do. (Deer in headlights) Felt like I had tried everything (when really, had I tried anything???). Felt tired and sad. (Defeat.)

Tomorrow I will do my best to see each of the 21 of my little people. Can I create a 7-second period of time dedicated to each one? Build on our relationship that we have already. Can I offer my emotional regulation to them in times when they are not feeling regulated? Me regulated and with a sort of plan will help in the moments when I want to freeze or get the heck out!

I will see the best in me, and see the best in others.

References (because some are my thoughts, and some come from these books):
  1. Fostering Resilient Learners (2016), Kristin Souers with Pete Hall
  2. Conscious Discipline, Becky Bailey

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. This is really good Alyce. Great reflection piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Thanks for reading. Hope you are having a good year!
      Alyce

      Delete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...