Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Trends and Band Wagons

I'm a good one to jump on a trend or band wagon.

When I read about something that sounds interesting or good for my classroom, I jump right in.

Sometimes I am concerned that I do it right. Sometimes I just do what I think is right for me.

Lately I've been reading about flexible seating in the FB group I belong to. And teachers are wondering what seating options they need to buy in order to do it.

Here's what I think:

Flexible seating is a mindset, not a set of seating options.

When I started to change my classroom, it started with adding some standing desks (by cutting PVC pipes to add as extenders to the desk leg). Why did I do it? Because I had some wiggly first graders that needed the option of standing to work, and this was an easy way to meet their needs.

Later I added cube chairs and Hokki stools (both funded by Donor's Choose), because I saw these on blogs.

At first I thought I needed them (chairs and stools) in order to say that I am using flexible seating. But the more years I am in the classroom, watching students choose the seats, I see that it is more than equipment.

Flexible seating is a mindset, not a set of seating options.

The last two years I have been immersed in Trauma Sensitive practices. But it wasn't until April that I read in Fostering Resilient Learners that some kids NEED a home base in the classroom. 

(Yes, I am mashing three ideas together: no desks, flexible seating and no assigned seating, and I feel like I can, because I have done all of it.)

Actually, that was a relief to me. I had dabbled in no assigned seats, taught kids how to choose, but it was just never smooth or good. Perhaps it was me and my need for order, perhaps it was the kids and their need for a home base.

As I plan and prepare for another school year, I am so hopeful.

**We will start with assigned seats. And reassess as the year moves forward.
**We will have options for seating as I recognize who needs what and try out choices.

What is a flexible seating mindset?

Be open to the non-conventional. Be able to recognize that each student may learn best using something other than the standard chair and desk. Try out some options. Some work for a bit, and then need to be switched. Be open to changes. Be open to growth and that preferences may change over time.

If you decide to adopt a flexible seating mindset, good luck and best wishes; and I'd be happy to hear about your journey with flexible seating!!!


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. It reminds us to put that child first and their needs. thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...