Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Full and Grateful Heart

I have been spending some time wondering how I would respond. What would I do? Would I be brave? I hear other teachers express the same thoughts. We all just pray that we are that brave, but never have to find out.

********************************************

Kids are done with school until January 3, 2013. Woohoo! I received some very special gifts yesterday and today. Some were actually gifts (like hot chocolate and mugs to drink it from, and a piggy bank that says something about being a great teacher) and some were words.

It is important to me that when the announcements come on we are all quiet. This has been the expectation since the first day. Today at a different time our secretary made an announcement, they got quiet, and we were all able to hear. I smiled and told them how proud I am to be their teacher, because they know it is important to me and they get quiet. One special friend (who has a lot of trouble remembering to be quiet when I'm talking) said, "we get quiet because we like you." He made me feel like the Queen of Walton. 

Maybe I need to make a sash. Not because I am powerful and all, but because they make me feel like a million bucks.

Today was "wear your Christmas socks" day. I gave each child a new pair of Christmas socks yesterday. Out of the 21 at school today 18 wore the socks I gave them, and pulled up their pant leg to show me. What smiles traveled between us. I wanted to get a picture of the socks, but I was too busy smiling to get the camera out.

They thought I was either crazy or the best teacher in the world when I let them take off their shoes for the morning. (How else can we see the cool socks?) I watched them slide down the hall and never told them to be careful or stop or come back and walk this time.

I received an unexpected cupcake this morning. From a former homeroom student. I was a bit surprised. This is not someone I have spent much time with. When I thanked his mom on Facebook she said that he was adamant that I get a cupcake. Wow. I continue to be amazed about the impact I have on kids. Even when the time involved is sooooo small. 

They are 6 and 7 years old. They are precious. My head is glad for these 2 weeks to relax. My heart will miss those kiddos a bit and be eager to hear their stories on January 3.


There are lots of days when I do not feel like the best teacher. Or even a good one. But today...with the help of my friends at school and my blog friends...I think there is something magical happening in my classroom. And I am so grateful to be a part of it.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. One day I was telling my students that they are a fantastic class and one student says, "that is because you are great teacher and you fill our buckets Ms. Horn!" I almost cried. I did tear up. It was awesome. Those are the words that mean more than I could imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post! I think the Christmas sock present is a great one, too!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...