Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Another New Experience...

The new-to-us arrangement and schedule worked out just fine today. Just some minor tweaking and getting into a different routine.

Now I have a wonderful problem/situation.

And I'm looking for veteran advise. 

This year I have decided to make having volunteers in my room work. But, I'm really new at it. Not sure about best practices for me and the volunteer.

Recently (like at 2:30 this afternoon) I sent an email to the parents of my students asking for parent volunteers to work in my room from 12-1 helping kids with sight words or handwriting.**[I got the letter pre-approved by my principal, because it is always a GREAT idea to keep the building head "in the know" and have her support if any tricky situation should arise--which it won't, because life is good.]**

This evening I had a reply. It was from Grandpa (he and Grandma come in on Wednesdays and read with kids--just for fun, we ALL love it). He would like to volunteer to help students with sight words and he can come every day.

Can you say--Grandpa, you ROCK!!

Now, here is what I need (and remember, this is for recognizing and spelling sight words): 
1. How do you set this up (a volunteer comes in, what do you give them)?
2. How do you train the volunteer?

I know what words to use-I will get them from my basal. But...

Now what?

Blog Buddies--you are so amazing with your ideas and tips, would you share your best or worst ideas?

I think we will start on Monday, because waiting is just not easy for me.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I don't have very much experience with parent/family volunteers, but I have asked other school employees to take care of the sight word practice in my room before, when they have been available. I made a sight word book for each student. I had the adult watch me work with the students a couple of times before giving them the task. It seemed to work as well as I could hope for a non-teacher person.

    I don't know if that is helpful to you, but good luck, Alyce! Hope it goes well for you!
    Sarah from Mrs. Jones Teaches :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! And a little jealous. The only time I've had parents come is for parties, even when I've asked. I hope it goes just great for you! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would create a basket with flash cards, white boards, and markers. Include a "what to do" sheet of instructions for the volunteer. Set aside a working space space (our volunteers often go out in the hallway) for them to work. Then touch base with them every few days to see how things are going and if you need to add new words or activities. Does that help Alyce? Good luck!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...