Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday Morning Letter

Dear Becky Bailey,
Thank you so much for wanting to find a better way. For finding it. For writing about it. For creating opportunities for others to learn about what you had learned.

Your book, Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline has shaped me, and my interactions with others like no other book has.


I talked to people about your book. My family started living in Unity Village (and when we weren't we yelled--UNITY VILAGE--think SERENITY NOW). I took classes on the book, and ended up with two personal copies.

I have had countless opportunities to practice the skills (at home and at school), screw up, practice more, apologize for screwing up, and try again. 

This past week the rubber met the road. And because of what I learned about the brain states, ways to calm myself and choices, I was able to DO IT, and IT FELT GREAT!

After a very difficult situation in my classroom I reflected on what happened: What did I do that worked? What did not work? Why did it work?

Here's is what I came to (I bet you, Becky Bailey, and my CD friends have said it a lot, but now I get it):

It's about relationships, people!

In my classroom, when a particular friend is not cooperating with me, he is calling for love, connection and understanding. When I offered that to him, he flipped his behavior and we ended the day on a positive note.

Becky, because of your work (and my work at learning it) I am so excited to go back tomorrow and make a difference in my friend's life. 

And wouldn't it be fantastic if I got to come to CD1 this summer? I'm pretty sure that my brain would be overloaded, but it would be good for me.

Hope to see you in June.

I Wish You Well,
A Friend in Kansas


Thanks, Michelle, for another opportunity to write.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I'll have to take a peek into that book. On occasion, my own little ones are easy to love, but hard to discipline. :) I love your SERENITY NOW reference! Seinfeld was the best show around during the 90s. Happy Sunday, Alyce!
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday was a difficult day in my room. My toughest day this year. I too am thinking how do I love these guys into desired behaviors. But I got excited about your excitement on fb earlier. I love how reading what is going on with other teachers is encouraging to me, no matter what they are feeling or talking about it seems I can relate! Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great resource! I could use this with my own daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you wrote the letter to one person and you're so right about how positive interaction can flip the behaviors. The relationships aspect of our career is my favorite thing about it!
    Have a fab week!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- I like your positive spin on behavior students. I'll have to remind myself of that too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...