Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Thinking Part 3

Thinking about thinking some more.

Chapter 3 in Mosaic of Thought is titled "Mindful Reading."

As I began this chapter I wrote in my journal this--"When reading I don't really monitor my thinking. Only when I read technical pieces/books. Fiction, poetry, songs are all surface levels of understanding. Why would I need to do more?"

By the end of the chapter I came around to understand that I am doing way more than I even thought I was. I didn't have the words to describe what I have been doing, or notice that I was doing it. Hence, the problem with teaching comprehension.

If I do not know what I do or how I do it or why I do it, I cannot possibly be able to teach those skills to someone else.

The authors gave an amazing list of what proficient readers do when reading on pages 63-65. It was this list that led me to understand that I am using those skills and strategies. Hallelujah! I have assimilated the strategies to the extent of using them without even knowing it. Not sure I can teach them yet, but at least I am effectively using them when I read fiction (and nonfiction).

Two long narratives captivated me. I loved the first one about a high school teacher named Cris. She very creatively taught struggling readers about monitoring for meaning and how to do it. After she taught them, they practiced using their textbooks (science, math) and manuals (computer, SAT forms).

I may not have cared about this in high school and might have thought it stupid to be taught this, but I think it would be great to have a school full of teachers like Cris.

The other narrative was set in an elementary class.

Not only do we get to read about her good instruction, we are privy to her thinking as she teaches. That in itself is great to read.

I need no longer fear when a student is not comprehending. I will celebrate the opportunity to learn together.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an excellent book.. I am putting this on my book list for when I have time. Thanks for stopping by!

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...