Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

the daily 5, Chapter 4





I've talked about principles, habits, urgency, goals, and books. Now it's time to dig into the "Nuts and Bolts" of implementation of Read to Self.



Last year my class LOVED Read to Self. I launched it by the book. Exactly like "the sisters" layed out in their book. And it was AWESOME.

Even now I wonder if I can pull that off again. Because my students were so good at read to self, that it was a time in the day that took care of itself.

So, what do I need to do? Start at the beginning. Do the mini-lessons. Practice and build stamina. Model. Model. Practice. Model. Practice. Practice. Follow the "Launching the Daily Five" at the back of the book (it was a super guide last year and I think it will be key again this coming year).

I am excited to see what first graders can do next year with read to self.


Guiding Questions
In reflecting on your students' work with these strategies, what can you celebrate at this point in the year?
My students were very good with reading the whole time. I loved that for them. They did not want me to stop this choice.

How might you help your students continue to build stamina within these areas?
To build stamina I need to plan for times of model (when needed) and practice. Chart the number of minutes and celebrate with them as they reach the goal.



A special thank you to Jennifer at First Grade Blue Skies and Laura at Tattling to the Teacher for co-hosting this chapter. Hop on over to see what they (and other bloggers) are saying.

             

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of reading about D5 for a while, thanks for the info! Thank you for entering my giveaway:) Goodluck! I'm your newest follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of charting the minutes! That makes the goal visible! Will definitely being doing that :) Thanks for linking up!

    Laura
    tattling to the teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear about the success you had with this. It is my favorite part of the D5 - building that stamina. I can't wait to get it started.
    I've posted some questions on my blog for those who have already implemented it. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have a minute to stop by. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. My class loved Read to Self last year too! I'm hoping that my new group will be just as into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to know that the initial work does pay off--the students will read to themselves and enjoy it! I'm your newest follower--I would love to have you come and visit my blog!

    Kaylynn
    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...