Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Meet the Teacher

I've been reading for a month about other teachers going back to school and how they have such sweet kids. OK. I just didn't get it.

How can you like them that much after one day or one week? (Maybe I haven't let go of last years class yet, have I made room for my new class in my heart?)

Friday, Monday, and today were franticly paced days FULL of work and almost no time for lunch or restroom breaks.

And today at 5:30 they came. Students, parents, grandparents, aunts, cousins, and friends.

I was so nervous. What am I supposed to say? What do I wear (I was thinking shorts and t-shirts, but then I saw my teacher friend in a summer dress and another teacher with nice clothes on)? Do I try to bond with my students or their parents? What are we going to do with all the STUFF they bring in?

So, I rushed home at 3:15, took my son to his piano lesson, raced home to change clothes and hurried back to school. We (my son and I) got there with 5 minutes to open doors. We hustled to his class to dump his stuff, locate his desk and say hi to his teacher. Then back to my room to greet those coming to meet me and drop off their stuff.

Oh the kids were sweet. Several of them actually introduced themselves to me! I think that must have been with parent prompting, but still. Pretty cool. About half were very shy. A third had wide eyes looking around the room. And one wanted to know where the toys were. Toys? Play in first grade?

I got one present. A super nice gesture. The card was so thoughtful. She has been praying for me. I got tears at school.

Yes, my kids are sweet. Each one has found a spot in my heart in those short minutes that I saw them. I am really looking forward to tomorrow, to see how full my heart may be by 11 or by 3.

I really didn't need to be nervous. But even if I remember that in 365 days, I bet I will still be nervous on Meet the Teacher night.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you well on your day tomorrow! You will do a fabulous job and your kids will love being with you!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...