Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Five for Friday (2-8-13)

Let the reflecting begin.

1. "Doing" art with first graders is awesome, inspiring and wonderful. I must do it again.
     *On Wednesday I led the kids in a directed drawing that I got from Julie @ First Grade Critter Cafe, who got it from Kathy @ Art Projects for Kids. We even watercolored. Of course, I did one (as an example) and I enjoyed being creative. Then on Thursday after my rocking writing mini-lesson on details (thanks Deanna Jump) they wrote the most amazing stories. The pictures and stories are hanging in the hallway. Come on over any time and read them. I wish I had remembered to take a photo, but I didn't, so now you can do a little imagining (until you come and see them for yourself).

     *This is my painting...

     *Now imagine a first graders' drawing  and painting, and then add a page of writing underneath. Beautiful. Lovely. Love Birds.

2. My homeroom had chores this week. Not much to talk about. Basically they need a grown-up to make sure everything gets done (that is me) and to direct them to the board with all the directions for each animal listed (me again). It is great for fourth graders and kindergartners and everyone in between to work together to feed the calves, donkey, sheep, and chickens, because there is reading and measuring involved. No pictures, just good memories. 

3. Baby lamb has refused to come into the world on her due date (last Sunday) and every day since. We are still eagerly watching (and not so patiently waiting) for her/his arrival. Perhaps tomorrow when I go chore I will have a little face (or two) looking at me.

4. Spring conferences are over. Thankfully. Two evening conferences makes for a long week.

5. I did not use the math textbook this week. I thought about what I needed to teach with subtraction, and then created 4 days worth of lessons using a Whole Brain Teaching method that Stephanie wrote about here. Amazing. These concepts seem to stick. The sequence of lesson is similar each day, so the kids get to know what to do and when and what is happening next. After the lesson (which was no longer than 10 minutes) they worked in math tubs or with me reviewing or with my aide working on addition facts. I am excited to use this again next week.

Often early in the week I think, "this is a great idea to write about on Friday." And I think that numerous times. So my post could be 15 for Friday. But then Friday comes. I have forgotten to write anything down and I just hope to come up with five blog worthy stories. Next week I could keep my paper handier and Write. It. Down. as is happens. Great in theory, let's see how it plays out.

I'm off to link up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching and read everyone else's 


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I found you through Five for Friday. I love the painting. I'm sure they look awesome!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you had some artsy-fabulousness inside you!
    YAY! Love Birds are travelling the country!
    I love it!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe
    Join my 100 Follower Ultimate Giveaway: Skype Author Visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I didn't realize you taught at such a cool school! I have never heard of a Ag/Tech School before! That is great for the kiddos to experience so many different things like the birth of an animal...when that comes:)

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting is adorable, would love to see the kids' work. I realized this week that, because of the standards, I don't do enough art anymore - I miss it. I am your newest follower.

    Terri
    The First Grade Princess

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...