Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

This is math, This is math, This is math

I love my neighbor teacher. We can be serious, and we can joke.

Yesterday I was in the hallway (just dropped my kids off in music) and heard her telling her students, "come in, sit down, and then we will have snack." 

I thought that sounded pretty good. So, I went in, found an empty desk (I have no idea where the lovely student was that was supposed to be sitting there) and sat down. She was teaching and talking (and getting around to snack) when she finally looked around the room and noticed me.

We laughed a bit, I left (without my snack) and smiled that we can be goofy in a very serious profession.

Today she walked in my room to discuss morning recess. Go outside or not? 28 degrees, finely misting. She looked around my room and asked--they are already having recess?

Um, no. They were playing a math game. Upon closer inspection she realized that it was a math game.

These were some comments she made:
1. Look, they are working together.
2. Oh, they are helping each other.
3. See how those two are sharing a chair?
4. This is math.
5. This is math.
6. Repeat this often Alyce, this IS math!


My teaching buddy (who does not live near by, but comes by often to plan and chat--I love her, too) and I are using a great product this week in lead up to Earth Day. (Find it here on TpT.)

For math today they started with addition cover up (from the packet), then practiced adding three numbers, then played the above game (identifying 3-D objects) when my neighbor came in.

I am so glad to have my neighbor teacher near by. She encourages me. She gets me to think out of the box.

And she brings me K students who have big questions that I can answer for them.

That is what she did this afternoon.

I thought it was going to be something like "how are kids supposed to treat each other," or "this is why you learn letters."

Nope. 

His question (after she left him in my able care), "why can't we talk about God at school?"

WHAT?

I looked up and the secretary was smiling at me. Oh boy!

I did the best I could and sent him back to K.

************************

In other news...

We are working through an awesome Reading Unit. All about characters. See it here on TpT.

Today was day 2, and I blended Critter Cafe with it. Iggy the Inferring Iguana.



The kids "got" it. I love it when that happens.

What's going on in your neck of the woods?
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I love this glimpse into your week. It is so good for me to see what other teachers are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great having such a wonderful teacher neighbour? I have a couple, too:)
    I'd love to have heard what you said to the K child:)
    Take care.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching and listening to my class while they are at math stations! This is what math should be, not just a bunch of worksheets. Kids need to DO math and talk about it!
    Carol
    Still Teaching After All These Years

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...